Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The downside of fun

From July 22nd to 29th I was playing a lot of board games at the World Boardgaming Championships.  This is a good thing for my happiness, but it is a killer on my routine.  I got home thinking that I still felt pretty good and perhaps ten days of sedentary behaviour, lack of sleep, and subpar food (which is on me, really, the food at the resort was fine) hadn't really impacted my body much.

I was so wrong.

I did my usual workout routine on Monday and Tuesday this week and I am sore all over, particularly my lats for some reason.  For months now I have been feeling good, rarely with significant soreness, and now I am not sure that one day of recovery time is going to be enough for me to get back to feeling healthy and ready to work out again.

I suppose this illustrates that in order to maintain my strength I absolutely have to be constant in my routine.  Even ten days of slacking dramatically was a huge blow, and will probably require significant time to recover from.

I have been curious for quite a while now how much an interruption would cost, and whether or not my relatively good discipline mattered; now I know.

No more days off, not until Christmastime at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment