Monday, December 16, 2013

Die Rudolph Die

This past week Elli's school had their holiday concert.  Traditionally this is a concert that has the following formula - one class does Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, one does Jingle Bells, one does Frosty the Snowman, one does Away in a Manger, etc. but all the while everybody pretends it is a holiday concert instead of a Christmas concert.  This year was different, particularly the music teacher who managed to conduct the singers with his hands, sing the cues, and play the piano to supply all the music all at the same time.

It was, as usual, pitched as a holiday concert but the lineup of songs was completely different.  There was one song that referenced Christmas but was new to me otherwise, there was one song about Hanukkah, and the rest of the songs were all kinds of random.  Some people felt like it wasn't a proper Christmas concert but I bloody loved it.  I have heard about Rudolph and his bioluminescent schnoz about a billion times and I am glad to not have to hear it again.  I am also glad to see explicit acknowledgement that there is not just one holiday around this time of year.

It is nice to see that somebody finally started walking the walk.  Not everyone celebrates Christmas and this year it finally feels like that is a real thing instead of just being given lip service.  I celebrate Christmas myself but I am glad to finally go to a holiday concert where I don't feel like I want the traffic cop to pull out a shotgun and blow Frosty's head off to see if ambulatory frozen water requires an anthropomorphic shape to remain 'alive'.

The kids by and large are already completely subsumed in Christmas and they are glad for a chance to do something new and interesting I bet.  Personally if I want another bad rendition of a Christmas classic I will just go stand around a department store for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment