Sunday, November 25, 2018

Discipline

I have been struggling these past few weeks with structure.  I have been playing Civilization 6, and it has had me One More Turning late into the night at times.  I have also been unable to keep on top of my duties at home, and have found myself desperately rushing off to the store to get ingredients for dinner and serving dinner late because I was too absorbed. 

It isn't good.

I mean, the game is great.  I get so into it, and that feels wonderful.  But I gotta stop throwing the rest of life by the wayside to get my fix.

Pinkie Pie has been in a similar situation.  She struggles with mornings and so she wants to watch a few videos when she wakes up.  I am fine with her doing this, but it always ends up being a mess.  She watches too much, and doesn't want to interrupt a video in the middle, and we get stuck where I run back and forth between what I am doing and her, trying to get her to do things.

Also not good.

So we are embarking on a new program.  Both of us will have to do all of our daily chores before we can do our computer based goofing off.  Reading, writing, exercise, and learning for her.  Writing, weight lifting, cleaning, and shopping for me.  Unless all those things are done I will not be doing my internet goofing off.  I can't cheat - I have to find something significant and clean it every day, even if nothing is sticking out.

I feel so much better having set this up.  I want to lose myself in a game, and if I consistently make sure my chores are all done beforehand I can do so without remorse or regret.

Pinkie Pie is less enthusiastic.  I think us doing this together will help though, as I won't be enforcing rules on her that I am not willing to follow myself.  Hopefully we don't have to fight too much about it.

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking for things to clean and chores to do, I've got some suggestions up at my house...

    ReplyDelete