Friday, January 18, 2019

Quinzee

I don't know if I am spelling quinzee right.  It is the sort of word that is usually said, not written.  A quinzee is made by piling up a stack of snow and letting it sit for a long while, usually a couple of days.  Eventually the snow packs tight and gets really solid and then you can dig it out.  We built a quinzee on my trip this past week, and it worked perfectly.


You can't see it here, but our quinzee had three doors in it.  We had some fun crawling through it, but pretty quickly we decided that it is cold outside and we should go back in.  I suppose we need some more kids around so they can spend all day zipping through the thing from end to end having no end of fun.  As an adult I had fun building it, but then was mostly done.


I really like the light in this shot.  I didn't take it though, this is Wendy's work.

I do enjoy getting to do this stuff in the snow outdoors.  Toronto has splashes of snow, just enough to make lots of slush and be annoying, but not nearly enough to do proper winter things like this.

On the other hand we don't have to cope with -35 weather either, and that is just grand by me.

1 comment:

  1. Yup. Close to -35 C. this morning. I won't be using the quinzee today.

    ReplyDelete