Friday, May 4, 2018

Hidden costs

The construction going on beside my place is bonkers.  There are a half dozen high rises going up within 2 blocks of me and a subway line being put it right past my building.  I knew there would be dust, noise, and inconvenience but there has been on particular side effect I didn't expect - cement splatters.

I am on the 15th floor of my building so you might think that I would be free of direct detritus but you would be wrong.  My balcony has little spatters of cement on it and so do my windows.  Being 15 floors up there is no way for me to try to clean them off, and I doubt the regular window cleaners are prepared to remove concrete!

It does make sense though.  The sixty storey monstrosities going up right beside me haul tons of concrete up to the top to build things and along the way bits of it get caught up in the breeze and wander down to my place.

This is a shot of a cement glob stuck to my window and the two buildings which is might have drifted off from.


I like building up, rather than building out.  Paving farmland is far worse than construction here.  What I wonder though is if anyone thought that they might have to do something for the people who have concrete bits rained down on them from these mighty glass edifices.  Probably not, and I will just have to accept that slight marring of my view from now on.  There are a great many environmental concerns that a develope must address when building but somehow I imagine that this isn't one of them.

1 comment:

  1. I assume it's not just happening to you. Talk to the board and see what the plan is. Maybe they are easy to clean. Maybe you get some money from the builders. Maybe nothing. But it doesn't hurt to ask!

    ReplyDelete