Friday, June 2, 2023

A few things to say

I haven't blogged in quite a while.  I have mostly felt like there isn't much to say that isn't already being said better somewhere else - unless I spend a tremendous amount of time on a thing I might as well just post a link to someone who already wrote something similar but better.

However, my life recently underwent a huge change and during the change I found a lot of things that made me want to rant about classism, so to the internet I go!  I have a couple of posts I want to make, firstly just talking about what is up with me right now, and then the rants will follow.  I have no idea if this will mean I generally continue to blog or not.

I bought a house!  I am now living on the Danforth in Toronto, right near Pape subway station, on a quiet side street.  It is hard to take a good picture of it because of the cars and trees in front, but here it is:

There are many complicated feelings about the house.  I love what it is, and I think it will be a grand place for my family.  However, I have feelings about sustainability and good urban planning that put a damper on the celebrations.  In big cities having people all live in single family dwellings is a problem.  I would have preferred a large condo instead of a house.  Unfortunately there was simply no condo available that would work for us because people don't build big condos for families - they are built for couples/singles.  I needed 4 bedrooms, and that is a tall order for a condo.

The second big change, definitely related to the first, is that my family changed.  The Flautist moved in to the house with me, Wendy, and Pinkie Pie.  I have been polyamorous for ten years now, but my living situation always looked conventional, and now it doesn't.  That makes things complicated, because now when I meet the neighbours or Rogers installers they assume that The Flautist is my daughter.  This has led to some awkward (and sometimes hilarious) moments.

We were all happy to be building a new family, but it is complicated.  Other people have questions, and we have to thread the needle between being open and informative, and stonewalling questions that are invasive.  It isn't always easy to determine which category a given question belongs in.

I like my new life.  Houses are SO MUCH WORK though.  I don't know how I will ever get through my jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment