Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Reality is sad

For quite some time I had it in my head that the pandemic would be winding down in the spring.  I had thought that by the time summer started I would be back to doing the best things with the best people.  I have been missing those activities that can't be safely engaged in during these stressful times.  I had all kinds of plans for board game nights that devolved into orgies (carefully not messing up the pieces, of course, that game is going to get finished *properly*).

But it seems that I was overly optimistic.  Canada is apparently planning on having half of its population vaccinated by September 2021.

When I read that it was a punch to the gut.

Another *year* of sitting at home, not able to see many of my favourite people, not able to do my favourite things.

Another year of the World Boardgaming Championships not happening.

Another summer of sitting at home, not able to go out and do the things.

Another year of not seeing my extended family.

It is all kinds of depressing.

I find it hard to figure out what to think of it.  On one hand, I am the sort of person that wants to eat at home anyway - restaurants not opening doesn't matter to me.  I am financially stable still, so I don't worry about that.  I have fun things to do, and I am confident that when it all finally ends I will have much to go back to.  I don't have to take serious risks with my own health, and I can stay at home.  My kid is mostly self sufficient these days, and homeschooling is actually going quite well this year, far better than ever before.

Many people don't have those things.  I don't want to be whining about my circumstances when so many have it so much worse.

Still, knowing that other people have all my problems plus a bunch of extra ones doesn't help me much.  The feelings are still there.

However, there is nothing to be done for it.  I just have to accept that I have another year of being at home, and make the best of it.

You can be damn sure though that when we finally do get the restrictions lifted I am going to have such an outrageous party it will be remembered for years and years to come.  New heights of debauchery must be reached to celebrate the end of the worst crisis of my life so far.

I guess I will hold onto that thought tight, and use it for whatever comfort it can bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment