Tuesday, October 13, 2020

A successful bid

One of the best predictors of how long a relationship will last is the way the people in it respond to bids for attention.  These bids are usually small things like pointing out a funny thing to a partner, asking a question, or a request for assistance.  Most of the time all we need to do to respond positively is acknowlege the bid, pay attention to it, and respond in some reasonable fashion.  You don't have to respond to every bid of course, but if you consistently ignore them to stare at your phone, shrug and move on, or otherwise lack engagement, your relationship is likely to either end or be miserable.

I put a large emphasis on responding to bids from people.  My romantic relationships get a lot of attention here for sure, but it also applies to child rearing and friendships too.  I think I may actually respond to bids so much that it is unhealthy for me, though I presume that the people I respond to like it.  

The way this plays out is that I am doing something on my computer with my headphones on, absorbed, and either Wendy or Pinkie Pie talks to me.  I can't tell what they are saying (because headphones), so I stop what I am doing, say "Wait, I can't hear you", take the headphones off, put them down, turn around to face them, and say "Okay, go ahead".  This is a positive way to respond to a bid.  I set aside what I am doing, make it clear that I prioritize their feelings and communication, and make sure I am prepared to engage in whatever it is they have for me.

Sometimes that is a good thing.  Maybe it is time to make dinner and I was being reminded, or maybe there is something interesting we can talk about.  Unfortunately a lot of the time it is something totally trivial that I do not care about at all.  It might be Pinkie Pie wanting me to look at the cat that she made in The Sims, or Wendy saying "Oh, never mind, I see it now."  In both cases it is frustrating because I tore myself out of my flow to respond to the bid, and now I have to get myself back into it.  Often what I *want* to say is "Not now, busy" but I don't.  It is important to not respond in that way, and everyone makes it clear that how I respond to these things is crucial for them.

I want to be a good partner and a good parent.  I want to be there and responsive when the people in my family ask for my time and attention.  I just don't know how to cope with some interruptions being necessary and worthwhile, and some being for things I absolutely do not care about at all.

The pandemic turns this from an occasional frustration to a serious struggle.  What I need is the ability to focus on things without being dragged out of my zone.  Unfortunately we have a tiny space and everyone is on top of me all day every day.  I am the one responsible for the vast majority of chores and work, so Wendy and Pinkie Pie need to constantly talk to me about groceries or dinner or cleaning or appointments etc.

If I could just go to work for a few hours and do things without anyone else around it would be wonderful.  I get a bit of that late at night after other people are asleep, but then I need to tiptoe around so as to not wake them up, so it doesn't quite do the thing I am hoping for.

I really like the idea of all of us interacting casually, being open to little conversations about nothing important.  I want to be receptive to people talking to me, even when it isn't something momentous.  I like the idea of talking with them about random stuff that popped into my brain too.  I just desperately need that separation at times, that ability to sink deep into a headspace without being interrupted.

The struggle goes the other way too, no doubt about that.  Pinkie Pie spends all day in her room, and she won't take care of any basic life functions without constant harassment, so I constantly have to be knocking on her door and barging in when she ignores the knock.  I am sure this is difficult for her too, but because she is always behind a closed door and won't respond to messages I literally cannot wait for a good moment to communicate with her - I have no way of knowing what time would be good.

Wendy works in our living room, so she has the same sorts of struggles.  I can't easily tell when she is engaged with her work or not, so if I need her attention I have to either wait, which might take hours, or just interrupt her.  Working at home is difficult for her even if I am leaving her alone, especially with difficult work where she needs to be in flow to do it properly, and me needing input on stuff ratchets up the challenge.

Having only a kitchen (where I am on my computer, usually), and a living room (where Wendy is on her computer, usually) as our living spaces is driving us a bit batty.  What I would give for an office space with a door I could close!  The ability to go and do something for a couple hours with a door between me and casual interruptions would be a wondrous thing.  

But, you know, money.

I don't have good answers here.  I would like to respond to bids less, but I can't know which ones are the ones I want to filter out until I have already responded to them.  I could put up a little flag that says 'go away' on it, but that doesn't actually work that well in practice.  It is weird and uncomfortable to not chat about little things to someone who is *right there* in a way that wouldn't be weird or uncomfortable if they were in an office ten meters away.  You just walk to the office if you have a thing worth saying, or don't bother if your thing isn't worth saying.  A 'go away' flag simply doesn't create the same social environment.

I am so profoundly ready for the pandemic to be over so people can get out of my space and I can drill down deep into something, knowing that I have hours of time where I can focus and nothing shall distract me.  Trivial or important, all distractions break my creativity and flow.

5 comments:

  1. I really get what you're saying, and you handle it better than I do - I get visibly frustrated when I can't finish typing a sentence or email, or have a complicated series of ideas in my head and someone interrupts me. I'm loving the days where I go into the office and there's no one there and no one interrupts me.

    I was going to say, "it's worth the money - get a bigger place to live" but as I typed out the first paragraph realized that I *have* a bigger place to live, and it's not sufficient. I think you just need to have a separate space where you can't be interrupted.

    Time to get yourself a bachelor pad. Or rent someone's garage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a man cave is a thing I want for sure. I don't see any way to get it though.

      Delete
  2. So I am in a very very similar boat. Before the pandemic, I was the person who stayed home and took care of the house side of living. I didnt realize how much I treasured having that time to do nothing without being interrupted. Now both my wife and our roommate work from home and like you, we have our bedroom, the roommates room, a kitchen and living room. Trying to have space to just BE, is hard to come by and it means that someone has to just stay in the bedroom for awhile. And that has its own problems namely screwing up sleep hygiene. It is sort of wonky but one way we figured out was to set up a couple bookcases in the corner of the living room so that it is little nook. We then put a shower rod over it so that it is its own space. Does it look janky and unattractive? Yes. Is it perfect? No. Sound still travels and it is still incredibly easy for someone to come in and ask questions or what not.

    I love how you talk about these interactions as bids for attention and how it sets up a relationship. And honestly this was a huge problem for me and my wife both when we first started dating and later when we moved to CA and had community outside of each other. And both of us were feeling that the other was both bidding to much and not responding to our bids. The way we helped solved this was by creating a number system on a scale of ten. "Right now I am in the middle of something. How badly do you need my attention." A ten is a I need you right now, please stop work and help. A one is look at this fun meme.

    When the pandemic hit, we set things up so that there was an hour a day where it is a set, please dont bother me without it being a 7 or higher. If it is a 5 or 6, holler that you need to talk when there is a chance. Other than that text so that you dont forget what you were going to say, and I will look at it and respond either when I get a chance or after the hour.

    We both have one of these hours set up each day, and they dont overlap. This way, everyone has a chance to have space and alone time to do whatever we want without worrying about the other person. It also makes it easy for her to get a chunk of time to be in the zone work wise if she is needing it that day.

    It doesnt solve the fact that picking up the living room is ten times harder with someone sitting in it, especially a person who I would rather be talking to and hanging out with and easily distracts me. But it is as close and we have gotten to solving this. Hopefully this helps. Or sparks something that might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed this comment now... so the reply is a bit late. I think you and I end up with a lot of similar struggles! I wish we had a bit more space to subdivide, but our unit is small and making subspaces just isn't feasible. I like the idea of numbering your needs like that - I wish it would work with my kid, but I don't think it will. She just isn't able to separate 'I want you to see this meme' and 'the house is on fire' effectively enough yet.

      Delete
  3. Can you have some kind of signal for the really deep "do not disturb" times? Don't laugh, but maybe an actual "thinking cap"? That way everyone would know not to disturb you while you're wearing the hat, and when you take it off you're fair game. I hear you about the relationship piece and wanting to be open to other people's thoughts, but it's totally valid to want and need focus time. I don't think there's any relationship damage from that sort of healthy boundary.

    ReplyDelete