Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Everybody knows

Everyone knows Rambo movies are a collection of shirtless Stallone shots where Rambo uses a machine gun to mow down endless waves of soldiers.  Also he probably kills a lot of people with knives and explosives too, just to keep it from getting monotonous.  This is certainly what I thought, though I have never actually seen a Rambo movie.  You don't have to see it when all the images are so constantly embedded in popular culture.  I know Rambo without knowing it.

Except apparently I don't know Rambo.

I watched a review for the newest Rambo installation and found out that the original Rambo has only a single death in it, and it was from a fall.  Rambo was largely responsible because he threw a rock that caused the fall, but it isn't at all clear he intended to cause a death.  The movie had violence, but it was a lot more of a character piece and not an orgy of carnage like I had assumed.

It turns out that things that everyone knows are apparently just things I assumed from soaking up cultural references.  Of course I was completely correct in my evaluation of all the other Rambo movies - here are there death counts.

Rambo 1 - 1
Rambo 2 - 115
Rambo 3 - 175
Rambo 4 - 254

These movies sure take a turn for the death right around Rambo 2!

But it makes me wonder what other cultural icons I know nothing about.  Is Nightmare on Elm Street actually a poignant look at regret over missing out on raising a child?  Is Rocky about a man who just wants to start a career as an actuary but boxes in his spare time to keep in shape?

What else do I know for sure, that everyone knows, but which just ain't true?

No comments:

Post a Comment