Monday, January 29, 2018

Out with the old, in with the phone

My phone was old.  Maps didn't work, so when I was out with someone and we had to look up how to get somewhere I hid my phone in shame.  Their phones would always tell them in seconds how to get somewhere, but it took my phone a good 10 minutes to load up a map and tell me where I was.

But phones don't *have* to be maps, so that was okay.  I didn't need a new one yet!

My internet was terrible and getting anything to load up was an exercise in frustration.  Sites took forever, looked terrible, and were mostly just frustrating.

But phones don't *have* to provide quick internet.  I didn't need a new one yet!

My charge was draining fast and for no reason.  I would have to plug the phone in way too often and the battery would die in just an hour without me doing anything interesting.

But it is still better than no phone at all... right?  Better than before!  I didn't need a new one yet!

And then my phone stopped picking up my voice.  Any phone call required me to shout at the phone and people complained a lot that they couldn't hear me at all.

And this... I could not ignore.  I mean, it is a PHONE.  The thing is has to be able to do, of all the things, is transmit my voice to other people.  It couldn't do that thing.  Though I can put up with a lot in pursuit of saving money, my phone actually needs to be, you know, a phone.

So I went to Bell and signed up for a contract and they gave me a new phone.  The thing WORKS.  I can turn on maps and it gives me directions quickly.  I can talk to people and they hear me.  The battery even holds a charge!

I am entering the future here people.

One funny thing I did notice was that while I was standing in the store and my information was transferring over I constantly tried to use my phone. 

Oh, I am bored and standing here, best text Wendy.  Wait, I can't, they are using my phone.

Ten seconds later... Oh, I am bored, I will play Candy Crush.  Wait, I can't, they are using my phone.

Ten seconds later... Oh, I am bored, I will see if people have said interesting things on Messenger.  Wait.....

I may have a problem.

2 comments:

  1. Phones have become our go to cure for boredom. I used to go everywhere with a magazine and now phone have that...sigh.. i miss reading national geographic while waiting at the bank, but that pokemon go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I mean... https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/national-geographic-magazine/id418671597?mt=8

    And you can have many many other magazines on your phone as well

    Snuggles

    ReplyDelete