I have been working frantically on FMB to get it to a portable, presentable state. I find that sometimes several days will go by where I think nothing about the game at all and then I will suddenly be seized by the desperate need to create and go on a spree. I think my life would be drastically different if I didn't have a child (and hence responsibilities) to regulate my time. I am sure I would end up working halfway through the night when inspiration grabbed me and only putting down my tools when dawn began to light to sky. As it is I need to get up and get breakfast for my family, take Elli to school and do the various chores that are part of my day so I need to get to sleep at a normal hour. Doing this breaks up my spurts of insight and activity and ensures that everything takes drastically longer because that intensity simply does not come back as soon as my chores are complete.
My latest innovation is building a game board. I am using a hex grid in the shape of a hexagon with each side having 10 hexes along it. I wanted the board to be randomizable, somewhat like a Settlers board is, but I certainly wasn't going to make each hex separately. I ended up going with a smaller hexagon in the middle with sides 4 hexes long and 6 trapezoidal shapes for the sides, just like you can see in the images on the side.
The colours on the squares represent rivers(blue), hills(green) and mountains(orange) and the letters are for Fortresses and Mines. I have 8 different side pieces built so the total number of different gameboards is 8 choose 6 * (6*5*4*3*2) = 20160. While many of the gameboards that would be generated are fairly similar to one another each game should be slightly different, even if the cards and artifacts that are drawn weren't a factor, and they are.
My next step is to get all of these pictures printed out and made into usable game pieces somehow. Perhaps I will laminate them, perhaps I will glue them to bristol board to give them some stiffness, it isn't entirely clear. Eventually they will be made of the same sort of cardstock that is used in other board game boards, even if I have to buy cheap board games and chop them up to generate the materials.
The units are going to be wooden bricks with stickers on them in the end, but for now they will also be printed out bits of paper finished in the same way as the board itself is. Hopefully I can even replace "Wizard" with an actual picture of a wizard, but my limited artistic skills prevent that being an option for now. The numbers represent Power/Speed and the black triangles in the corner designate a ranged unit.